From:
Carole Jernigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 07:41:15 -0700
Catherine, thanks for writing in.
No, this little one doesn't have a tongue-tie.  Rather disorganized
tongue movements, which is understandable in DS, but given a minute or
two of sucking on a finger or bottle nipple, she was able to suck well.
 Her muscle tone, if a scale existed, would be in the good-to-fair
category.

She didn't go directly to breast and was getting overly agitated so Mom
fed her via bottle.  Once she had fed, she acted like she still wanted
a bit of something...Mom offered her the breast, she latched and
*stayed latched* for about 10 minutes, did very little sucking, but had
bright open eyes and was patting and stroking Mom's breast and clearly
just loving it.  It absolutely made my day.

One of those consultations that keeps ya going back...

Carole Jernigan
RN, BSN, IBCLC
San Diego, California