Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 23:08:03 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
With permission to post, I have an expectant mom tell me she is concerned about milk supply for her upcoming third baby. With her first two babies (not twins) she said milk supply was good until about the 7th week, then things dropped dramatically. She says she rested, ate well, drank plenty, breastfed exclusively, lots of skin to skin, let her daughters nurse at will, pumped and still not much supply. When she pumped she was only able to get a few drops. To collect and ounce would take several days. She has not had any breast surgery or trauma, and mom's health checked out fine. She says both of her previous babies latched well, and she had no damage to her nipples or breasts. The one thing she did mention was that both babies didn't have many bowel movements, but lots of wet diapers.
My thought on this was that the earlier babies were not milking the breast effectively and milk transfer was just not adequate so her supply dropped and the babies lost weight. But why supply didn't increase with regular pumping seems a little odd except that maybe the pump or her method was inadequate. I did not support this mom through her first two breastfeeding experiences so I only have what she tells me to go on. It seems that this was a breastfeeding management issue. I have had moms' milk supply drop at around three months post partum before, but nothing that couldn't be turned around. Maybe she just needs better information and support.
Any thoughts?

Warmly
Stacy

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2