HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:21:46 -0700
I have often batted the idea around about doing an archaeological
clearinghouse for gray literature, based on the model of ERIC
(Educational Resources Information Clearinghouse).

Unfortunately, ERIC (which stored information at specific
institutions), collapsed as soon as government funding ran out.

However, with the advent of CD-ROMs, and new ways of storing data, it
may be possible to revisit the idea.

What if every CRM agency sent a copy of their reports to one central
location, with the purpose of that information being scanned and
placed on CDs (or DVDs) for further storage? The data could be kept in
categories for easy retrieval.

At least we could keep up with the current information, and try to go
back and retrieve older information.

Unfortunately, I have found that older reports often disappear from
state repositories and archaeological facilities.

--
Anita Cohen-Williams
ArchaeoSeek