HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"T.W. Bodor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:00:33 -0400
Logan, George C., Marian C. Creveling, Thomas W. Bodor., and Lynn L. Jones.
1991.  Archaeological Investigations at the Charles Carroll House in
Annapolis, MD. Prepared for Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Inc.

This is the reference for the technical report that provides the initial
account of the discovery of a cache of artifacts that has since been interpreted
to represent sprititual belief practices by African or African-American slaves
who lived and worked in the ground-floor basement of the main residence of the
Carroll family, the most famous of whom was Charles Carroll of Carrollton.
Mark Leone of the University of Maryland was heading the project, and I was
working at the site when the artifacts were discovered.  The day the artifacts
were removed from their context, we had no clear idea what this feature
represented - the mere presence of several raw quartz crystals apparently hidden below
the base fragment of a pearlware bowl was what initially caught our
attention.  The artifacts were literally beneath the remnants of the 18th century
wooden floor, in the northeast corner of a small room that was probably where the
house servant or cook slept.

It was Mark Leone who pursued the research on this, and he ultimately became
convinced that the artifacts were associated with slave religious behavior.
There are probably dozens of articles or professional papers that have been
given that refer to the Carroll House "cache", but the technical report cited
above gives the raw details of the feature in which the artifacts were found.

Tom Bodor