HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:03:11 -0400

In a message dated 8/25/2006 1:25:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

There is nothing "scientific" about religious or spiritual belief.  In my
opinion, the linguistic transition from Voodoo or Voodoun to  hoodoo
represents a
generational breakdown the attachment to a  former belief system and
replacement  by another. People whose  parents or grandparents once practiced
the old
religion, but whose  current religion is something else (say Islam or
Protestant)  use the  term to refer to the old way. I cannot speak for
others, but I do
not  think anyone intended to be derogatory and really wish the harsh
comments
would  end. The part of this thread about the meaning of the  term is
interesting, but  judging others for using the term in an  implied way is not
amusing.

Ron May
Legacy 106,  Inc.

Again, I don't care anything about religion. My concern is with using
correct terms in our studies and not passing along incorrect information as  fact.
Thats all on this subject for me....