HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"T.W. Bodor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:49:26 -0400
In a message dated 8/24/2006 1:56:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Don't EVEN get me started on this nonsense!

Clearly, archeologists need to do their own research in their own geographic
areas, taking into account the history of their research areas (but also the
attitudes of the living descendants of whom we are trying to understand).
There is plenty of evidence and scholarly research, including much work done by
African-American scholars themselves, that demonstrate a clear presence and use
of symbolism in (and, perhaps even, by) African-American communities that
would fall under that category of "conjuring" "hoodoo" or whatever folky term one
can find.

Regarding cosmological symbols found on ceramics from a cache in Annapolis,
it might interest folks to know that the interpretation of the cache came
through extensive research and collaboration with African-American scholars who
were knowledgeable about the existence of these practices, however disparate they
might seem.