HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 10:03:28 -0500
In the present context, Dam Archaeologist might be an amusing job
title...

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/16/06 6:35 PM >>>
I may come to regret asking this, but...

Various groups do sometimes take on the name <something>
archaeologists,
like Geoff's example of airplane archaeologists [see also the book by
Bruce
Robertson- Aviation Archaeology: a collector's guide to aeronautical
relics
1983]  but are there any countries, states or other jurisdictions where
the
term archaeologist is restricted from general use by statute, such as
usually applies to doctor and architect [at least in Australia]?  In
New
South Wales anyone can be an archaeologist but regulation sets close
limits
on which of these can be issued with an excavation permit, based on
academic
qualifications and relevant experience.

I imagine industrial archaeology/ist has as long or longer claim to use
of
the title than historical archaeologist [see discussion in one of the
first
issues of Historical Archaeology].  While we might scoff at people
writing
down plane numbers or railway archaeologists who are on first name
terms
with every rivet, is this essentially different to what some
artefact-expert
archaeologists beloved and caressed by academia and CHM do anyway?

Your thoughts on a humid Friday are most welcome

Denis Gojak

Denis Gojak
Banksia Heritage + Archaeology
PO Box 457