From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:37:39 EDT

Kathy writes:

I am a  public school teacher and I must recertify every 5 years (in
Maryland) by  proof of continuing education. An upgraded certificate requires
a Master's  degree in a certain amount of time after first  certification.

I think many posts are confused about what I consider "the ordeal" of
recertification. I agree, recertification is key, it's the "one shot, pass  or fail
multiple choice exam and who cares about CERPS in those 5 years"  approach
which seems so off. It would make more sense if one had to  accumulate CERPS to
even sit for the exam.  I will also say that taking an  exam and passing it
tells us what people know on paper, but has no link with so  many of the
counseling skills LCs need in their one on one work with vulnerable  families. Many
MDs could pass their boards again, but that doesn't make them  good doctors. One
observation by a trained professional, watching one us work  with one new
mom, would tell more than a thousand multiple choice questions ever  could.
Why would our profession want to see if we had baseline competency on  paper,
after 10 years in practice? Why do we need so much preparation to sit for
the certification and none to sit for recertification? And, in an evidence-based
 profession, where is the evidence that one multiple choice exam that can
take  credentials away in a hearbeat, is a better way to establish competency
than  actual observation, practicums, and/or CERPS, even followed by questions
submitted by choice? No one is saying we should not be expected to recertify,
it's just the method that I believe needs work.

Peace,
Judy