From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:06:53 -0500
William Hong wrote:

>The following story appears in today's Washington Post, signalling the
>final coup de grace for Washington's broadcast radio market in classical
>music.  ...

WGMS appears to be a classical music station only according to the
dictates of a lowest-common-denominator broadcasting conglomerate.
The Atlantic Monthly Magazine ran a lengthy story about WGMS a few
years ago, and it was not very flattering; a subsequent letter to the
editor from "management" was very dismissive about the station's artistic
shortcomings.  The assertion that classical pieces take up a lot of time
is laughable.  A quick perusal of the WGMS's playlist reveals one
composition after another from which only one movement is played.  When
you see a listing like "Mozart: Symphony #40 in g-minor(I)", that means
only the first movement will be heard...  and if you observe the timing,
that is, that the next composition is scheduled just 12 minutes later,
then you can tell that WGMS has as many commercial breaks as a typical
"music station".

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA