HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:07:19 -0600
Jeanette,

Of course, and it's probably a good chance ... that would explain why it
ended-up apparently discarded near the building rather than incorporated
into it (we had been thinking mainly of the possibility that maybe it was
torn-out and discarded as debris during the later additions/modifications to
the building ... although one wonders why/how such a beautiful piece of
stone would ever knowingly/willingly get tossed into a discard pile). Two
things about your suggestion jive with a couple of bothersome facts I've had
trouble reconciling (in addition to the one just mentioned): (1) there are
nine rays (w/ matching hemispherical pits at their ends), and this is in
thorough discard with EVERY example of this type of sundial I've seen (a
mistake like that by the stonecutter/engraver could certainly account for it
not being completed (and maybe the stonecutter buried it to hide his
mistake?), and (2) there appears to be no mounting hole for the gnomon
(although many of the vertically/wall-mounted sundials had remote gnomons,
it appears that this one would not function as a sundial without the gnomon
being affixed to its surface ... as in the Bok example).

Thank you for this insightful comment.

Bob Skiles
~~~
"Smithers! Get that bedlamite to an alienist." ~ C. Monty Burns