HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 06:12:57 -0500
We recently excavated and relocated a mid-1800s Catholic cemetery (ca. 20
burials) in Middle TN.  Most burials in the cemetery were oriented
lengthwise from west to east in the traditional Judeo-Christian burial
pattern with the exception of two burials which were oriented north to
south.  One was a child, the other adult.  The explanation given by modern
priests was that unbaptized and suicides were often buried in opposing
patterns to the faithful or on the "fringes," the outer edges of a
consecrated cemetery. We found nothing unusual included in the graves as
opposed to the others.

dan allen
cumberland research group, inc.