HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 12:21:33 -0500
RE site security.  At one urban site with a lot of public interest and no
real barriers around our site we contacted the local historical society.  They
took shifts, moved in a motor home and stayed on site through the night and
weekends for the two weeks we were excavating.  I understand they had a BBQ out
there on weekends and a lottery to see who was the fortunate one to camp out on
site and protect it.  This was on property owned by a City and the City agreed
and covered liability.  It worked out great with no problems and didn't cost
me or the City (my client) anything.  As an aside, they also provided site
docents during our excavation.  I would talk to the docent every hour or so and
fill them in on what we were doing and finding.  They then dealt with all the
general public who wandered up with questions.  They provided historical
research for "their site" and passed that on to the public.  It worked really well.

On another site in the same City I hired a security firm and paid for a
private security guard 12 hours a night at $14/hour.  We also had temporary chain
link fencing around the entire block.  I came in one morning and found a
feature that we exposed at the end of the day and left open had been totally dug out
over night and everything whole taken.  Turned out the security guard was a
pothunter and spent the 12 hour shift happily using our shovels and screens to
dig out the feature.  He dumped his goods at his girlfiend's house and skipped
town.  The security company filed a police report and it turned into a formal
investigation.  After many months I received a box of bottles that may or may
not have come from the site and the guard lost his job and had to pay a $400
misdemeanor fine.  go figure.

Mary L. Maniery
PAR Environmental Services, Inc.