ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeannine Finton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 09:22:40 -0500

Ian Russell says "Ironically, in this respect, militant creationists and crusading
atheists are working against us, preaching exactly the same
alienating message..."

Yes, both extremes treat each other scorn. And when people hear the scorn in another's voice, they tend to react in kind, closing their ears and minds. This is what has made evolution such a polarizing issue.

As scientists and science educators, we have to be able to discuss evolution and creationism. It affects how we do our jobs in a most basic way. We also have to understand that science and religion are not by definition mutually exclusive. The discussions of the past few days have shown that even among ASTC people hold different views.

As we hold our discussions, whether between colleagues on a discussion board or in a museum exhibit, we need to control our rhetoric so that we can focus on the science. To do otherwise drives the extemes farther apart, inflames the fires, and makes it harder to do our jobs.

Jeannine Finton