ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Jo Rudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:51:28 EST

This is a tough issue.  Did the prayer cause the tumor to  disappear?  How do
you know?

I write about autism.  This is a confusing disorder, and many parents  are
convinced that certain events, such as vaccinations, caused the disorder in
their child.  The child was vaccinated, and soon after that autistic  symptoms
appeared.  Parents are also certain that specific interventions,  such as
nutritional supplements, are able to improve autistic symptoms.   The supplement was
administered, and soon afterward they saw improvements in  their child.

The problem is that, since there are no solid studies to show that these
events actually LED to autism or improvement of symptoms, they may be
coincidental.  They may even be the result of wishful thinking  (placebo).

In the cases you mentioned, you might in fact be looking at miracles.   Or at
associations.  Or at wishful thinking.  IMHO, prayer-based  medicine is a
matter of faith, not science -- and the prayer-based cure, if such  it was, was a
matter of grace -- again, not science.

Lisa

Here is some Science for you.  I have seen time and time again where  a
person has gone to the doctor and there is a tumor in their body.   The
doctor with their great scientific technology is 100% sure there is  a
tumor there.  The person gets prayed for by faithful Christians.   They
myself that this happened to, and I've heard many more from  others.  Or
how about people who were born blind or deaf, get prayed for  and now can
see and hear.  A person who has had sections of their  intestines removed
for medical reason, and then that section that was removed  spontaneously
reappears. There are many more, using science and doctor  records to show
there is a God who has designed us.

Lisa Jo Rudy, Writer/Consultant
625 Chelten  Hills Drive
Elkins Park, PA 19027