ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:16:59 -0400

Hi Jay!

Talk to a local graphics shop.  There are a number of options you can use-
1) Some places have large-scale printers that can print directly onto
thicker materials (1/2" or so).  I've used a graphics shop in the past that
has printed illusions on 1/8" Cintra, we've printed graphics directly on
canvas, printed directly on carpet squares, etc.  You could buy a bulk sheet
of whatever material you want, lay out what you want printed, and then cut
the pieces yourself to save lots of money.  If you lay the pieces out well
on the bulk sheets, you can then have lots of spares to have on hand.  This
is a bit more expensive than other options, but is really cost-effective in
that once you lay out your sheets, it's a piece of cake to make new ones
down the road (pun intended).  If you don't like Cintra, perhaps a material
like playmat foam might be an interesting experiment to play with?
2) If you don't mind using something rigid like Cintra, you can add surfaces
to it not via paint but by either using vinyl, or printing on large rolls of
some other 2-sided adhesive material and just lay it out on the Cintra and
cut out the pieces.
3)  It may not be the look you are going for, but you could consider
products already out there and integrate them into your experience.  Cheap,
but you're kind of stuck with what's already out there.  Here's one option
that comes to mind:
http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=865&m
lc=
(It's the road builder set)