ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Steve Eichner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:39:02 -0400

Two prongs:

For the general group and those that are interested in CURRENT SCIENCE:

After 15 years of research at the University of Pennsylvania and other
facilities, a science team led by Fred Kaplan and Eileen Shore have
identified the gene that causes Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva, a
rare condition affecting bone growth in some 2,500 people worldwide.

FOP is one of the more devastating inheritable diseases know to man. It
causes a "second skeleton" to grow, eventually completely immobilizing its
victims.

The discovery of the gene may have substantial benefits for the treatment
of bone growth injuries and conditions like sports injuries,
osteoarthritis, and osteoperosis.

More information is available @ www.ifopa.org

I would be happy to provide additional information to any interested
party: I've been working on an exhibition on the disease. There are some
REALLY interesting aspects from a science and a human side.

On a personal note:

For those of you who know me off-line (in the physical world), you know I
have a "different" posture. You may (or may not) know it results from FOP
I cannot begin to tell you what this discovery means to me personally and
that, I hope, the research will continue and awareness will grow about the
importance of these efforts.

Yours,

Steve Eichner