ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:51:41 -0700

A couple of years back I was reading through some notes on fulldome
production from, I believe, Elumens. They said their research
indicated that you could go as fast as you liked, but motion-sickness
set in with sudden changes of motion. I could not find the article
again.

Now to dust off some of my experiences as a movie theater
projectionist (with a little bit if astronomy museum lingo).

The suggestion to sit near the projector sounds vaguely of a myth.
Sitting toward the back would reduce the angular size of the screen
and the apparent amount of motion. However, with large format
theaters, dome video, and the trend toward stadium-style steeply
raked auditoriums, that effect is greatly diminished compared to the
older, traditional-styled theaters -- you just can't get back far
enough to make the screen look small. Even then, I doubt the affect
was that significant compared to sitting in the middle (although I
remember sitting in the front row during Top Gun was a BAD idea).
Anyways, the back of the theater almost never has as good sound quality.

I would suggest that visitors close their eyes if they start to feel
uncomfortable.

I'd also instruct those who think they might get nauseated to sit on
an aisle near the exit. While they leave, they should look down to
the ground at the path immediately in front of their feet and an
usher will be by to help them. Some advanced ushering tips: Keep the
flashlight pointed to where you want the visitor to take their next
step and, when helping someone in or out of an aisle, hold the
flashlight low and nearly parallel to the ground so it lights up the
feet of the other visitors and the chair legs of the row in front.

Most importantly, if you can find a vendor with (ahem) absorbent,
odor-controlling powder in single-use pouches, that makes it easier
to stash some in multiple places for a fast response (which I
remember oh so vividly from my movie theater days).

- Paul Koenig