ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy VanBeek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:58:46 -0600

The comment about DYFS appears to have support.

"How much do we regard children as being the property of their parents?"
Dawkins asks. "It's one thing to say people should be free to believe
whatever they like, but should they be free to impose their beliefs on
their children? Is there something to be said for society stepping in?
What about bringing up children to believe manifest falsehoods?" Richard
Dawkins

From Wired Magazine in its article, The Church of the Non-Believers,
Issue 14.11 - November 2006

Also from the same article,
"We could have a rational policy not even to think about certain
things."
Daniel Dennett

I don't mind the discussion. I choose which emails to open. What I mind
is the waste of energy and time. What I need this forum for is help with
my role as a Science Center Educator.

I would love to have this list-serve have a few discussions on:

* Supplemental Service Provider as an after-school program, even at over
a $1000 a student is it worth the paperwork?
* Is anyone going to use bulleted lists instead of paragraphs in their
class advertising? My education advisors want me to make the switch next
fall, my marketing team is hesitant. Does anybody do it?
* Corporate Education and Science Centers a perfect match waiting for
the right matchmaker. Is anybody already doing it?
* Daniel Pinks book "A Whole New Mind" What is the role of the science
center in acquiring an MBA today?
* 21st Century Skills and the Science Center another way to encourage
field trips
* Title One Schools and Federal Dollars how big is the pot of money and
how does it get used.
* Foreign Language films for field trips and Non-Native Speakers, After
Spanish which language do you offer most often? With 48 different
languages in our school district how do we choose?

One last note, as a science educator, science history shows Christians
and governments that allowed Christianity have made the scientific
discoveries that we base much of our science theories and concepts on
today. As a Christian, I figure if God gives people the right to choose
him or not choose him, so should I.

Nancy Van Beek
KSDC Education Manager
Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science
301 S. Main Ave
Sioux Falls SD 57104
(605) 367-7397 ext 2374
www.washingtonpavilion.org

"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday
is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow" Robert Goddard