ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Orselli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:05:52 -0500

Hi Evan,

"Objective" can mean many things.  Most museums and their programs
take at least an "editorial" point of view.  Personally, I think
that's a good thing.  I don't want to see an animist's sincerely held
belief that rocks are alive, for example, espoused in a Geology
exhibition as an alternative view in the name of objectivity.

Gore's film takes a clear point of view, which people are free to
debate or disagree with (like our current President.) While Gore is a
liberal, I don't think the science presented in the film is bogus.
Again, people may disagree on the conclusions drawn from the data,
but isn't that part of scientific discourse?

All that being said, I'd rather have DVDs offered to interested
science centers (or science teachers) than sitting in a California
warehouse.

On Nov 27, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote, in part:

> Just seems to me that it's a bad idea for a science center to
> screen a film
> made by a very well-known liberal, just as it would be to screen a
> film made
> a very well-known Republican, or bible-thumper, or moon-landing-
> conspiracy
> theorist, or anyone else who clearly is not objective.

Paul Orselli, President and Chief Instigator

Paul Orselli Workshop (POW!)
1684 Victoria Street
Baldwin, NY  11510

www.orselli.net