ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
William Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:20:57 -0400

Jeff,

Also, don't forget to santize everything prior to it coming into contact
with the crystals or the distilled water.  At one point one of our people
was wondering why the tank kept "crashing" every couple of weeks and it was
because she didn't decontaminate the funnel she used.

Now, if you aren't agitating the water, then the crystal solution will fall
out of the water, but it can be agitated and mixed back into the water as
long as you use sanitary non-metal instruments.  I've often wondered if we
could keep the solution in the liquid longer if we switched away from water
and towards the base of the Kalliroscope solution (I once knew what that
was, but alas it slips my mind at the moment).  I've also found the people
at Kalliroscope to be very helpful.  (They also thought my idea might be
neat to try, but I have yet to try it).

-William
William Katzman			[log in to unmask]
Director of Exhibits			(828) 322-8169 x307
Catawba Science Center		(828) 322-1585 (fax)
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather to become a man of value"
-A. Einstein