Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 15:50:41 EDT
I am getting ready to go to a home visit in a neighboring town. Mom was in
labor 8 hrs at home, given Pitocin when she arrived at the hospital because her
 labor had gone on "so long". Then had an epidural, baby was born and was
breathing fast, given ABM ( since when is that a remedy for fast breathing???),
then sugar water ( 2 bottles of each within the next 8 hrs), then had an IV
because the hospital didn't want the baby to get dehydrated, given a pacifier
so  baby wouldn't wake up at night, mom was told to nurse with the nipple held
 tightly between the first two fingers, baby is jaundiced ( 14 to 12, now
back to  14), put on a bili blanket, has lost 7 oz ( 7 lbs 14 oz to 7 lbs 7 oz at
day 6),  mom is engorged, saw OB yesterday who prescribed antibiotics for
engorgement,  saw Ped yesterday who said it is normal for BF babies to loss 15%
of the  birthweight, and don't worry. She went into WIC who called me because
there  is no bfing personnel in this county, or even at the state level. Thank
goodness  the WIC director had heard me speak at a conference and kept my
card. Even  though it is 90 miles away, the grandparents decided to pool resources
and pay  my fee to come there.
How much ignorance can come out of one hospital?? I think it is going to be
a long visit.

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC