From:
Kevin Tuite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2006 10:51:06 -0400
Dear music lovers, I am a new member of the list, having joined only
three days ago.  I also have a request for you.  In connection with my
research activities as a linguist and ethnographer, I travel frequently
to the Republic of Georgia (in Transcaucasia, not the southern US).
While in Tbilisi this past winter, I met a composer named Felix Glonti
(or to be more phonetically accurate, Pheliks Ghlont'i), now about 80
years old.  Some of my friends consider him the finest Georgian composer
-- or at least one of the finest -- now alive, but his music is little
known outside of the former USSR.  Personally, I find Glonti's music
extraordinary, and I would like to help make it known to a larger circle
of listeners.  Since Felix has no computer and no access to the Internet
from his home in Tbilisi, I offered to make a few excerpts from his
compositions available on the Web (with the composer's permission,
of course), at the following address:

   http://mapageweb.umontreal.ca/tuitekj/caucasus/glonti.htm

I would like to know, first of all, if any of you are already familiar
with Glonti's work, and what you think of it.  I would also appreciate
any comments on how to improve the web page & what further information
I ought to publish there.

With thanks and my sincere best wishes,

Kevin Tuite