ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Diane Peapus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:30:03 -0800

Matthew White asks...
>Are the Petroleum
>Industry sponsored curriculum materials as pro-energy usage and pro-
>petroleum industry as the author suggests?

I don't know about the K-12 level, but...

...I teach evening biology and chemistry classes in local colleges as an
adjunct. For years, every text book I ordered came with a CD of CNN
clips for use in the classroom. The supplemental material included a
convenient booklet that specified which clips augmented which chapter
sections and gave discussion questions for use with the clips.

Of course, CNN is _NOT_ a scientific authority, and from the quality of
their clips, they don't fully utilize scientific consultants either! The
clips were science journalism riddled with errors and political bias.

I used one particularly bad clip as a critical listening exercise. I'd
show the clips in class and ask students to find the scientifically
incorrect statement! I felt it was a good way to introduce the fact that
they can't believe everything they see on TV (imagine... they get to
college and have to learn something like that!). I wrap it in lessons on
critically evaluating your sources, the difference between review,
critique and original work, the difference between .com, .gov and .org
sites, the reliability of fun facts inside bottle caps, etc.

I complained to the text book companies. They stopped sending me CNN. I
don't know if they put a mark on my customer record that specifies "No
CNN" or if they really don't use CNN clips anymore or if CNN didn't find
this a valuable use of their resources.

Anyrate...
...that's my 2-cents on the topic.

have fun