ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Ruth Goehmann <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 May 2006 12:38:53 -0500

We do this occasionally and have found that the kids like being able to
do something that they would not be allowed to do at home. Although they
may not understand what all the parts do, it is an experience to see
what they look like. Some kids stay with it for a long time.

We have been lucky enough to have a group of volunteers with technical
knowledge who could not only explain what the parts were but also
recognize hazards on the fly. We have occasionally run into mercury
switches and suspect insulation (in devices with heating elements that
slipped by our prescreening overview) and, of course, pulled them before
the kids got to them. As we do it we have tightened up what we allow: no
monitors/TV's, heating elements, blades of any kind. High on the good
list are VCR's, tape players, electric typewriters, printers,
telephones.

Ruth Goehmann
Museum of Science and Industry

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonah Cohen
Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:15 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hazards of Machine Dissection

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
institutions.
*****

Howdy n hi. Yet another query about engineering stuff:

We've been fidgeting with the idea of a program where people would get
to take tools and take apart various machines (TVs, speakers, pagers,
VCRs, hard drives etc) and see what's inside. Initial testing looks
promising - those neodymium magnets in computer hard drives sure are
boss!

But I wanted to consult my more mechanically minded cohorts about the
potential hazards of this activity. I know that some contraptions have
capacitors whose charge needs to be drained. It was pointed out to be
that some devices might also contain hazardous materials one might not
want to be mucking about with.

Any safety advice from those who have done this kind of thing?

Soon to be underwater,

Jonah Cohen

Outreach and Public Programs Manager

The Sci... er... The Children's Museum

I cannot stress enough that nearly without exception one cannot randomly
combine a collection of circuitry and power supplies into an object and
"accidentally discover" that it is a fully functioning death ray. I
speak here from bitter experience.

-James Kakalios, "The Physics of Super Heroes"