HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jakob crockett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:19:50 -0500
Hello everyone,

Recently, a large, extremely well preserved trash deposit was
excavated at the Mann-Simons site in Columbia, SC – a small collection
of commercial and domestic structures owned and operated by the same
African American family from 1825 to 1970.  The deposit is associated
with a small structure (approx. 13 x 17 feet) variously described as a
"lunch counter" (City Directory), "restaurant" (Sanborn), and
"confectionary" (City Directory) in operation from at least 1891 until
1909.

Although my search is just beginning, I've yet to find reference to
excavations of similar structures in urban contexts.  I would be much
appreciative of any references or pointers you might be able to give.

Best wishes,
Jake

--
Jakob Crockett