HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"George L. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 11:32:54 -0400
Ian,

      Eugene T. Peterson published “Leaflet Number 4”  on Mackinac History

that is a four page pamphlet titled “Wilkes and Liberty” in 1964.  They

recovered a “Wilkes and Liberty” button from Fort Michilimackinac.  The

pamphlet has some pretty good background on John Wilks.  My favorite quote

from the Wilkes is on page 3 of Peterson’s leaflet.

“It was during one of these debates that an opponent, Lord Sandwich, who

was not noted for his high moral standards, shouted, “Wilkes, you will die

of a pox or on the gallows.”

      “That depends, my lord,” he replied, “whether I embrace your

principles or your mistress.”

Peace,

George L. Miller

URS Corporation

437 High Street

Burlington, New Jersey 08016

 This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you receive this

 message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain,

 distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy

 the e-mail and any attachments or copies.