HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 4 May 2006 10:25:45 -0400
If you haven't already run into him, you might look up Darrell Markewitz

Darrell is part of a group that is attempting to rediscover how iron
was made in the preindustrial period (primarily bloomeries). He is
particularly interested in Viking era and was involved with the
L'Anse aux Meadows excavation. They do occasional demonstrations and
are more than willing for people to help out. There have also been
two conferences at the Farmers' Museum in Cooperstown, NY devoted to
ironmaking and there is annual conference called Ironmasters (but
finding it can be awkward as it is a bit informal).

James Brothers, RPA