HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 10:18:07 -0400

In a message dated 5/3/2006 12:43:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I don't  have an end-date for
stoneware, but probably by the end of WWI everyone  had converted to glass -
except for some extruded knock-offs from the  1960s You can always play the
odds: jugs for the water trade were made by  the millions; those for the gin
trade, by the tens of thousands. If all  the marks indicate quick and dirty
mass production, you greatly increase  the odds of having a water jug.

Robert C.  Leavitt

Robert - thanks for an excellent answer. I have one thing to add. These
bottles are still in use, so there is no end date, and since the tradition is
continuing I'm not sure its fair to call them "Knock offs." I bought bottles of
Hoogstratten and St Sebastians beer from Belgium at my local beer store a
couple  of years ago, and I still see them from time to time... The Hoogstratten
was a  tall, .75 liter cork seal bottle and the other was more squat, .5
liter, with a lightning stopper closure. Both are salt glazed with a brown  wash
exterior. Interior is glazed, but not slipped. And the beer was good too.  Carl
Steen