HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2006 21:31:03 -0400
It reminds me of a collection of glass plates that were at auction in
Cold Spring, NY in 1992 or so, it an antique clearing-house for "first
sales" from Hudson River estates. The collection of glass plates were
of black and white photos taken all over New England, and were all
turned into tourist post cards of various landmarks and buildings that
travellers may have frequented and tinted to appear to have some
color, often. It must have been a large assignment for a photographer
once and at the time wished they could find a good home. The question
becomes where? The Society for the Preservation of New England
Antiquities? This announcement seems like a good place for them, The
Library of Congress. It was once all cast iron, after a fire, replaced
by the Janes and Kirtland company, with the library contract, got a
"foot in the door", so to speak, building the all cast iron
"fireproof" library (replaced since) which led to some other Federal
projects (U.S. Treasury) and to the casting and construction of the
current U.S. Capitol Dome under the Lincoln Administration, cast in
the South Bronx, NYC and assembled for a little over $1 million
dollars.

Some of the Hudson River estates have renters (one of our crew West
Point Foundry crew, came from Barrytown, where Sun Myung Moon had a
headquarters. He's donated, I read, an abutting property to be
incorporated in the National Trust holdings at Lyndhurst, the former
Jay Gould estate in Tarrytown, NY, which has two wonderful busts of
those old friends, George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette.

Thanks for the info.
George Myers