From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 07:52:08 -0700
In my hospital the only ones who consider this important are the midwives.
Most of the docs so far consider birth control by whatever means to be
essential.
If it's a problem for BFing, oh well.....  Not getting pregnant is much
more important.
And sometimes the only BCM covered by the insurance provider is the BCP
with estrogen.
So I write on my report: "Note: BCPs with estrogen are known to reduce milk
supply."
The CNMs read my reports and have helped moms make choices, but I'm not so
sure the OB docs do.
All those I have spoken to so far about BCPs and the Patch, are unconcerned
because it's so rare that a mom will choose Breast Only. The belief is, if
she is willing to feed formula, not to worry about baby. He will get fed.
And she MUST have birth control.

I wish they would advocate for breastfeeding as enthusiastically as they
advocate for birth control.

Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ

  ...Did you start taking oral contraceptives?   "Oh, yes, of course,
> my doctor put me on them at my check up."   Lovely....did he ask her if
she
> was breastfeeding?  Nope.  Did he  assume she was brastfeeding?
Her assumption:  He told me to take these, I
> had to.  He  put her on Estrostep.
 his answer:   "Well, you know, many of my patients stop  producing