Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:37:55 -0500
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I've just discovered a version of this on Albany but can't find any
>reviews.  I wondered if anyone could offer a comparison with the venerable
>Howard Hanson performance, unaccountably never released on CD.

Well, the Albany release is a good attempt at the piece, but not as good
as the Hanson.  I have it performed by the Boston Symphony with Koussevitzky
(2 different performances) and Munch (3 different performances---in
STEREO).  I am happy to make copies.

It was so sad that Seattle didn't finish their series of the Piston
Symphonies.  We still don't have a good version of the 1st.  The 7th
with Philadelphia, which is on one of their historic issues, is quite
good, but the Leinsdorf with Boston is incredible, as is are his
performances of the 8th.  On the subject of the Symphonies of
Piston...something I collect, there are surviving Munch performances
(all live) of 2,3,4,5,6.  I don't have either 2 or 4 but the rest are
the best I believe I am likely to ever hear.  Munch performed Piston's
music even before becoming conductor in Boston.  I have a rehearsal with
Munch conducting the Second Suite...at the end of the rehearsal he says,
"good piece."

For anyone fanatical about the 3rd, I also have the Koussevitzky broadcast
rehearsal and an interview with Piston, recorded many years later, where
he talks about that rehearsal broadcast.

Karl