HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:08:19 -0400
To go along with T. Thompson's thread, if such anti-looting information is
placed on the web (e.g. on the SAA, SHA, NPS sites), who exactly are you
reaching?  Unfortunately, those who are going to commit such crimes are
probably not perusing these websites.  They're looking at North-South
Trader, the Civil War Outpost, privydigger.com, or Digger Odell's bottle
site (to name a few).  And just because I can name a few websites doesn't
mean I'm a proponent of such activities.  It means that our Dept. has had to
deal with these complicated issues, internally and externally, especially
when it comes to Civil War sites.  Compiling the information is a start, but
knowing how to properly reach the targeted audience is another matter.  If
you're trying the shape and inform the young minds of future generations,
great.  But, it doesn't really do anything for those who are already
embedded in the "looting" culture unless you take it straight to them.  And
that is where it gets tricky...

Just my two cents.  Nice touch to throw a bone to Joffre and all his
students...

Paul J. Mohler, Archaeologist
Human Environment Unit, Archaeology Section
North Carolina Dept. of Transportation