HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:02:39 -0400

In a message dated 4/20/2006 2:42:56 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Chuck  Fairbanks used to tell the pothunters in Florida
who were looting Weeden  Island burial mounds onm private property, that they
should consider the  fact that the New World, the Caribbean and Florida in
particular, were the  source of the syphillis epidemics in Europe after 1492.
This little fib  seemed to have a greater deterrent effect than all the
appeals to  high-minded historical values and knowledge which fall on deaf
ears in the  looter community,

And, I might add, that the last time I suggested "fibbing" about
disease-laden soils to deter looters on HISTARCH (eg. pot-hunnters), a  colleague from
the United States Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton "busted my  chops" for
prosyletizing un-truths as a rationale for deterring vandalism. Funny  that I don't
see him correcting you?

And, I might add, what idiot would believe you could get syphillis from
digging in soil?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.