HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 19:13:29 +1000
Boib

A hydraulic ram can raise water to a level above the originating intake, and
could probably be misrepresented as a 'siphon'.  They were definitely
manufactured  during the 19th century and consist of a pipe from a water
source such as a dam, a hydraulic ram chamber with a couple of valves which
looks like an oxygen cylinder, an outlet eg into a river, and a destination
pipe which can discharge above the intake level.  Sounds like your baby.

Probably lots of pics on the Net.

Denis