HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Damon Tvaryana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:02:01 -0400
The Webster's New Universal Dictionary says that "The verb IMPACT has
developed the transitive sense 'to have impact of effect on' and the
intransitive sense 'to have an impact or effect.'  Although recent, the new
uses are entirely standard and most likely to occur in formal speech and
writing."

Cultures change, language changes. There is no fixed or "correct" grammar or
vocabulary. We should spend much less time making trivial points like this
and focus instead on real issues.

Damon Tvaryanas
Principal Architectural Historian/Historian
Hunter Research, Inc.
Trenton, N.J. 08608