HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ariadne Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 16:11:45 -0500
In the process of researching bird money banks a while back, I ended up
turning up a lot on stoneware bird whistles as well.  Remmey made stoneware
bird whistles in Philadelphia.  I too saw the one for auction at Crocker
Farm, which was forwarded to me by Bob Giannini at the NPS because of my
interest in bird banks.  I have seen many more English examples on various
auction sites, examples of which I saved pictures of in my general "bird
files."  I will forward you the photographs if you like (you cannot post
photos here apparently).  You may want to check the Philadelphia Museum of
Art for more examples, as I believe they may have a Remmey stoneware
collection.  (I am not 100% certain about this though.)
--Ariadne