HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 00:34:53 -0500
I quite agree--nothing substitutes for drawing a profile, especially a
complex profile, "live," in the field.  Figuring out stratigraphic
linkages across a site is absolutely basic to understanding and
interpreting that site.  However, the necessary processes for
identifying, understanding and recording profiles and site stratigraphy
are quite time-consuming, and difficult to explain to supervisors
without archaeological background, especially in a CRM context.  As
in--"You've got your #@!%&^$#^%$! Artifacts--why are you wasting my time
with drawings?"  Explaining the even less obvious esoteric of a Harris
matrix is even further out there.  Comments?

D. Babson.