Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Brian Burtt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:01:45 -0500
Karl Miller:

>While it might not be dead, some "statistics" seem to suggest that the
>orchestras are not invigorating the repertoire.  As for the attendees
>being older...well, as we live longer, maybe there will be a greater
>potential audience for classical music.

My impression is that audiences are younger (and I'm tempted to say
healthier, though I'm not sure what I mean by that) at concerts of new
music ensembles, and at classical guitar concerts.  1) Anybody have any
statistics to confirm/refute this?  2) Any thoughts on what this means,
if true?

I lived in Pittsburgh during a part of Jansons' reign.  During this
time the PSO programmed a lot of 20th century and even contemporary work.
Now that I'm in Syracuse, it seems that their symphony performs mostly
warhorses and crossover.  I'm going to a concert next week with Eliot
Fisk soloing, but I don't see anything else on this year's program that
entices me.

Perhaps more of us live in places like Syracuse than like the now-past
time I spoke of in Pittsburgh.  Perhaps--to address the meaning
question--programmers have misjudged the appeal of (dare I say it?)
dumbed down programs (I'm 32).  If so, this may be a ray of hope for
society--if not for the symphony under its current managements.  Maybe
smaller groups, being less expensive, have more freedom, both in terms
of programming and presentation, to try new things?

--Brian