From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:55:27 -0500
A Peds nurse passed on this info:  One of the hospitalists who
works peds and sees newborns has recently started instructing
lactating moms to mix their breastmilk with pedialyte for their
sick children.  He states that this will enhance electrolyte
balance.  He's the only one that is ordering this "combination."

I couldn't help but first grin at this and then shake my head in
frustration.

How well I remember being a nursing mom (almost 29 years ago) and being
told to "push fluids" when my 6-month old had a diarrheal illness.  A
nursing baby nurses as much as they want.

I would translate this into the usual issue of what to know EXACTLY what
went into the baby, in measurable amounts of known constituents.  In
addition there has been a long-standing practice of restricting milk in
GI illnesses.  I was under the impression that research had shown that
to be, mostly, a waste of time, and that current practice was to
continue normal feeds.  The diarrhea only lasts a couple of days more
and the baby tolerates it better.

I firmly am on the side of those who said this physicians needs to show
how and why this is an advantage rather than the other way around.  I
doubt there is any research on the topic.

How I wish that _our_ research were more comprehensive.

Judith

Judith Hayman, BSc, BScN, RN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse