Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Tina Williams, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:44:29 EST
Dear Lactnetters,

Just wanted to offer you all an update on my Mom with no arms/no legs, and
thank everyone for your help and suggestions. (Posting with Mom's permission.)

Baby girl was delivered by c/s at 39 weeks gestation and 5-lb. 6-oz.
Breastfeeding was initiated within the first 2 hours after birth with Mom still groggy
from general anesthesia. FOB and Mother of the Mother were taught deep,
off-center latch techniques using the FB hold. They did a great job putting baby to
the breast "on-cue" or q 2-3 hours for the first 24 hours. Baby did end up
jaundiced on day 2 and under photo light therapy X 24 hours, but baby "played
dead", according the nursery RN, and refused the supplement by bottle, while
under the lights. : )
Ran into some sore nipples on day 2 and day 5, but with close follow-up, and
lots of review on the latch over the next 5 days, baby was 1-oz. below birth
weight by day 6.
Mother was up and more mobile by day 3 and switched to Cross-Cradle hold
using the My Brest Friend breastfeeding pillow. This was a great tool, offering
firm support and an angle that allowed baby to maintain the latch.
Baby is now 9 days old and mother has graduated to the side-lying position at
night. Baby is self-attaching in this position.

This mother has the most incredible spirit I have ever encountered and it has
been my honor to be involved in helping her breastfeed her baby. The baby
also, seemed to come out knowing what she had to do. It was truly an incredible
thing to witness and has been not only my privilege, but has affected me
personally on a deep level.

Our local newspaper and local news did a "human interest" story on this Mom
and baby. This story has been picked up by the national syndication's and the
family is currently being flooded with offers from national news programs and
talk shows. So you may all get the privilege of hearing her story in the near
future.

I passed on many of your suggestions and ideas and again, thank you to
everyone for your support. I felt like I had a whole lactation community supporting
me, and am very grateful.

Warmly,
Tina Williams, IBCLC, HMA
Phoenix, AZ