From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 05:09:36 -0800
Dave Lampson replies to Jeff Dunn:

>>Then there are the strange numbering systems of the avant garde.  I hope
>>experts out there can provide interesting examples.  I've seen decimals
>>used, although Roman numerals seem to be more common.
>>
>>Somehow, putting a number on something gives it more gravitas, at least
>>I think so.  Or does it diminish??
>
>For me, it's a near deal breaker.  If I see a work titled "Purplescape
>3.2" I immediately can't take it seriously.  The work can overcome this,
>but it's a strong, almost visceral reaction for me.  ...
>
>There's no question in my mind this all depends on how one views the
>general sweep of art music, and whether or not one has a favorable view
>of modern developments in classical music.

Oddly enough, even though I like a great deal of modern music, I feel
the same way.  The only exception I've come up with is Varese's Density
21.5, but that turns out to be an imaginative, poetic title.  It's the
density of platinum, and Varese composed the piece for a platinum flute.

The other titles strike me as bad poetry, showing very little imagination,
which usually doesn't bode well for the piece itself.  Better Etude for
Orchestra or Symphonic Study than Abstract IV or Lambda 3.2.  Anyone
with a dictionary can come up with junk like that.

Steve Schwartz
"For those of you keeping score -- Scorsese, 0 oscars;
36Mafia, 1 oscar." -- Jon Stewart