From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 06:41:19 -0400
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:49:26 GMT, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I collected one colony from a house a while ago that had loads of
>varroa.  (The first varroa infested feral colony for me ever.)  I
>gave them a virgin queen from my 'preferred stock.'  At this point
>the colony's brood has emerged and the new queen started laying
>several days ago.

Hi,
I thought I'd share some thoughts regarding Waldemar's situation.  If
you're at a stage completely free of any capped brood, it seems like you
have a lot of options (oxalic acid probably being one, but something I
don't really know much about).  One option I was wondering about was if you
just sacrificed the first couple frames of brood to get capped, maybe froze
them and returned them.  Wouldn't almost all the remaining varroa mites be
pretty eager to reproduce by now and so invade the first available brood to
start getting capped?  I'm not necessarily recommending this, but thinking
it might be a straightforward possibility.  Another related question is if
you took a natural mite drop on this colony about a week after such a
colony started capping brood (before any of it started to hatch), would you
get a really falsely) low count?  It seems such a dynamic could really skew
the accuracy of some mite drop tests.
Eric