From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:41:32 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:
> I think it is very unwise to treat active foulbrood. It is better in
> thelong run to get rid of it. My experience is that the beekeepers
> that don'thave foulbrood (and there are plenty) are the ones that
> practice zero tolerance.
> Once you embark on the medication plan, you will always have it.
I am with Peter. However, in fairness, there are experienced beekeepers
on this list who successfully  treat AFB without burning and have no
future incidences. The archives have much on this.

The problem with using antibiotics is mostly with the beekeeper. Those
beekeepers who used it successfully treated the symptoms and also were
strongly into a foundation replacement program, so the source of future
infections was removed. The problem is with those beekeepers who use it
as a preventative or treat the symptoms and continue its use. They
create a repository of AFB that will come back or infect other apiaries
in the area.

The latter has been my observation. A fellow beekeeper used terra to
keep AFB "under control" He was a pollinator and his partner's bees
became infected with AFB. Neither burned their equipment and one is now
out of business and the other finally burned his equipment and is still
keeping bees. But it took repeated infections to finally make him
understand that he was on an antibiotic treadmill.

My first bees, which I purchased more than 15 years ago, from a local
beekeeper, were infected. Burned and have not had a problem since.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine