HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Burgess, Laurie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:26:27 -0400
Prosser molded buttons are marvelous dating tools and the definitive
work for these buttons, which are frequently misidentified as milk glass
buttons since they are pretty vitreous, is Sprague's 2002 Historical
Archaeology article.  Look for the diagnostic stippling on the back of
the button and you'll have a handy TPQ of 1840.  I'm less clear on the
qualities and date ranges of milk glass as it may relate to buttons, but
maybe Rick can shed some light on this too?

Sprague, Roderick
2002 China or Prosser Button Identification and Dating.  Historical
Archaeology 36(2):111-127.

Laurie Burgess

Laurie E. Burgess
Associate Chair