HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:56:20 -0700
One of the first patents in New York City (then New Amsterdam) and what
became the primary wealth production activity in nascent New York itself
(not the flour monopoly, ground up around West Point, that is represented
on its early flag as flour barrels, when the Governor was from one of the
Channel Islands) was to grind oak bark into tannin for the tanning and
processing of leather. The largest concern in the early 18th century became
the fortunes of the Roosevelt family (the F.D.R. side) and it had a
vat "farm" in the vicinity of Bestavaers Cripplebush or swamp, that was
acquired, though never granted as a outright purchase by the Dutch
government, to James Roosevelt I think. Leather production moved a couple
of times to the periphery of settlement until it was taken off the island
(leather was used to wrap money, before "rubber bands") is it was shown by
an interested public research group to effect health adversely (and
other "practices"). Hides were kept in wash as long as a year. Hemlock was
used extensively and exclusively in North Creek, NY from 1850-1890, when
the transcontinental railroad builders built a railhead there, it became a
large operation with skins from all over the world its written, (part of a
report I wasn't allowed to finish).

From what I read that the shoes were provided by traveling shoe makers or
fitters to the countryside, before "mail order". Maybe it has something to
do with the concealment? I still can't think where these shoes would be. At
the Captain Brewster Hawkins House, Setauket, NY had wood work around the
hearth adn small beehive oven, which when opened what looked like a
cupboard door, provided the wee children a ladder up to to "loft" space
around the chimney, above the hearth near the roof?