HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Donna Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 12:33:57 -0800
Hi all:

  We are considering what type of computing devices to use for fieldwork and I would like to solicit comments or recommendations from anyone who has experience using PDAs, laptops, or notebooks PCs for archaeological fieldwork.  I have downloaded a stack of information on all three types, but would like to hear from archaeologists who have actually used them in a field environment.

  Specifically, I would like to know the following:
  1)  What type and brand of device was used?
  2)  What was the battery type and how long did it last?
  3)  How much storage capacity does it have?
  4)  What type of input was used (built-in keyboard, on screen touch keyboard, etc.)?
  5)  How well did the input type work in field conditions?
  6)  How well did the device hold up in the field? - Durability (any problems with dropping, dirt buildup, or other field situations), battery life, etc.
  7)  Was the software compatible with Microsoft?
  8)  What information were you entering? (GPS, artifact descriptions, mapping . . .)
  9)  Generally, did it work well in the field and was it worth the cost, (in dollars, training time, and field time)?

  I realized this is a lot of information to ask, but I would appreciate any input provided.
  You may respond to me off-list at [log in to unmask]

  Thanks in advance

  Donna Stubbs
  Archaeologist
  ACR Consultants, Inc.