HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:21:01 -0500
In a message dated 3/13/2006 3:39:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> On at least one occasion, when looting was a real issue, we found a
> deputy sheriff does wonders in terms of deterring "collectors". If
> the site is reasonably important and not going to be open for too
> long, police may be part of your answer.

We attempted to use this when we were doing our excavations.  In fact, the
Police Station was on the adjacent block to our work.  Unfortunately, they were
not too interested in pothunters unless we could get the property owners to
sign a complaint.  The owners really didn't care.  I ended up spending a weekend
running off various looters myself.  That is why I think Ron is right in
suggesting heavy steel plate, parking cars over excavation areas or, as we did,
laying rented chainlink sections down over features and weighting down the
fencing with whatever you can find.  Its not perfect, but can help in detering at
least the more casual of looters.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants
Ogden, Utah