From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:33:32 PST
I have not heard Shelley's Chopin but have been impressed with his partial
Mozart piano concerto series and the last two discs of the Hummel piano
concerto series.  Dave Lampson mentioned that he easily gets mixed up
between Shelley and Leslie Howard; I do also.  I tend to get mixed up as
well by adding Stephen Hough to the picture.

I try to keep these three pianists distinct in my mind by remembering that
Hough is the best of the three, Shelley is a great "house" pianist, and
Howard's distinction is his giant Liszt series.  That distinction is less
strong now as Naxos barrels ahead with its Liszt series.

Although Shelley has done a fine job with Hummel, I would have preferred
to see Hough finish off the series.

Don Satz