From:
Robbi Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:16:55 -0500
Hello! My name is Robbi. I am a junior nursing student at the University
of North Dakota. I am currently taking a childbearing class and have just
recently finished my clinicals on the OB unit. I joined this listserv a
few weeks ago and have enjoyed learning about the different topics that
have been discussed so far. Labor and Delivery is an exciting area of
nursing and am looking forward to gaining more experience in this area.

	The role and influence nurses have on new mothers on the choice to
breastfeed is very important. I am especially interested in the effects of
various surgeries on the ability for mothers to breastfeed. As stated in
earlier posts, we (as health care professionals) will be seeing many more
women with piercing and breast augmentations/reductions. Therefore I
believe it is important to clarify exactly how these types of situations
will affect the mother’s ability to breastfeed.

	From information I gathered on this topic, there seems to be some
confusion as to whether or not the mother will be able to breastfeed after
breast surgery. The ability to breastfeed exclusively after having breast
surgery depends on the type and extent of the surgery and the location of
the incision. These factors will determine if there is nerve damage, duct
damage, or a change or loss in sensation, which may then lead to problems
with breastfeeding. Patients who have had a breast reduction have limited
milk production, as well as those who have had a mastectomy. However they
may both be able to breastfeed exclusively (Spangler, 2000). On the other
hand, Newman mentioned that some mothers may need to supplement as a
result of the limited milk supply (2005).

According to a study done by Marshall, Callan, and Nicholson, 93% of women
who had breast surgery wished to breastfeed initially, although they were
less capable. Upon discharge from the hospital, 73% were still
breastfeeding, but that number dropped drastically to 27% after a month
(1995). These numbers indicate a need for an increase of education and
support for mothers trying to breastfeed after surgery.

	My questions to you are: What are your experiences with mothers
who have had breast surgery? What was their success rate of breastfeeding?
Did they need to supplement due to inadequate milk supply? Also, has
anyone had breastfeeding problems with patients who have had other
thoracic surgeries involving breast tissue (such as cardiac surgery)? Any
information or stories you could share would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Robbi, Student Nurse
University of North Dakota

Marshall, D., Callan, P., Nicholson, W. (1995, January). Breastfeeding
After Reduction Mammaplasty. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, Volume
50, pp 21-23. Retrieved from
http://gateway.ut.ovid.com.ezproxy.library.und.edu/gw1/
ovidweb.cgi.
Newman, J. (2005, January). More Breastfeeding Myths: Handout #12.
Retrieved March 28, 2006 from http://www.thebirthden.com/Some%20BF%20myths-
January%202005.doc
Spangler, A. (2000). Breastfeeding: A Parent’s Guide. Abby Drue, Inc. USA.
Pp. 143-144.