From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 19:58:48 -0500
---- Marianna_Holland?= <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I know that social perception, in the U.S., of nursing after one year pressures women to wean before then, even though WHO recommends nursing for longer. We know that nursing up to a year really helps mom and baby in so many ways.  But how does it affect older children and moms?

Good luck with your studies. Here are some possible refs. Results related to research of other cultures may be applicable to infants in your/our culture. Dr. Jack Newman also has a fairly recent handout on this topic.

Bonyata K (2006). Breastfeeding benefits toddlers and young children...nutritionally, immunologically and psychologically. Available online: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Mandel D, Lubetzky R, Dollberg S, Barak S & Mimouni FB (2005). Fat and energy contents of expressed breast milk in prolonged lactation. Pediatrics, 116 (3), 432-435. Available online: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/116/3/e432

Onyango AW, Receveur O & Esrey SA (2002). The contribution of breast milk to toddler diets in western Kenya. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 80(4), 292-299. Available online: http://www.scielosp.org/pdf/bwho/v80n4/a06v80n4.pdf

Sayegh A, Dini EL, Holt RD & Bedi R (2005). Oral health, sociodemographic factors, dietary and oral hygiene practices in Jordanian children. Journal of Dentistry, 33(5), 379-388.

Stuart-Macadem P & Dettwyler KA (Eds.) (1995). Breastfeeding: Biocultural perspectives. NYC: Aldine de Gruyter, Inc.